Sunday, April 6, 2014

Laughter post 19

Today I'm going to be talking about my speech and my plans for it. As I said before I'm going to talk about how society is good for some things and bad for others. In this post I'm going to offer my solution. And I'm going to word it like this: Stop telling everyone that society is a horrible monster, it's something that can be fixed, something that we can learn from, not something we want to throw away. We need societal expectations, we need the competition, we need the rules, we need the goals to meet, the standards to expect, we need manners and systems, we need cliques and communities, these are necessities of life, this is how humans have evolved, and we would've died off a long time ago if these were all wrong. Don't throw away society, don't be a "hipster" and say "I'm gonna go live in the forest away from society #yolo". Don't abandon the rest of us, because you can't fix what you abandon. Stay in society and help fix it, or atleast go down with the ship. Everything I've listed above has been a part of human life for as long as history has been recorded. Society provides motivation, it gives us the drive to move on in life, it lights the fire inside of each of us that says "I want to be the best singer" or the best piano player, or football quarterback. Society is motivation, and we need motivation to survive. 

Society can be fixed, and you could argue it isn't even broken, a little excessive definitely, but not broken yet. Society's standards have definitely gone up, especially with the media which is what everyone is getting all worked up about. But everyone's reaction seems to be "condemn society and live like a natural man, naked in the woods with an iPhone", but that's not the reaction we should be having. Many companies are figuring it out, like dove's real beauty campaign, but not enough. Society is fixable, bullying, media pressures, phone obsession, people thinking that the key to life is living in the woods with their laptops, all of that is fixable. My solution to society's problems is simple, DON'T GIVE UP if everyone was to band together and say "I don't like this, this, and this about society" things would change, and that can happen. If we put the time in, if people really want to fix society as much as they claim, then we can fix it, it's just going to take more than complaining about it on twitter. 

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a quote I love which is, "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it." I believe so much that life is what you make it and if you don't like something, change it. It sounds like your speech has gotten very focused and you've got a unique perspective. Dove is a great example of a company defying societal norms. Check out the British catalog Debenhams for some seriously unconventional models. http://blog.debenhams.com/debenhams-shows-diversity-in-fashion/fashion/

    When is the event?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, I'm pretty sure its in late May, like May 20th or somewhere around then.

      Delete